Project: Covent Garden Station – Congestion Relief
Client: Tube Lines Limited
Works Value: £1.4 Million
The purpose of the works was primarily the creation of additional space that was previously utilised as a Bureau De Change at ground floor level to allow for installation of additional exit gates. The existing Ticket Office remained with modification to the basement Mess Room and modification of the staff mess rooms to provide a new Locker Room and new toilet facilities at basement level. The Station Supervisors Office was relocated from basement level to ground floor level. Works included:
- Demolition of the existing Bureau de Change on James Street, allowing provision for the an increase in the number of exit gates. This also included a new concrete floor slab to be able to withstand the new passenger loading requirements.
- Addition of a new gate in front of the removed Bureau de Change plot.
- New canopy and vitreous enamel panelling to new exit area, designed to match existing.
- Reconfiguration of the ticket office to allow for better passenger circulation, involving the demolition of existing rooms.
- Movement of room locations at ticket hall and basement levels – in particular a new Station Supervisor’s office with a direct view of passengers’ entrance gates and lifts, relocated from basement level. This included a new glazed screen.
- New balustrade and handrail.
- New signage.
- Modification and reinstatement of finishes to internal areas, adjacent external areas and elevations including terrazzo floor tiling and ceramic wall tiling to match the existing heritage finish.
- Formation of penetrations for services to be installed by other contractors.