Project: Kings Cross Station – Escalators 1, 2, 3 Civil & Premises Works
Client: London Underground Limited – L&E Team
Works Value: £428,000
As part of the of Escalators 1-3 replacement works at King’s Cross Station our task was to carry out the Civil & Premises works in conjunction with new install. Works included the following:
- Close off the escalator shaft with crowd loaded hoardings to 6No. entrance / exit points, creating a 24/7 working opportunity/ environment.
- Temporary wall and floor ply laid to protect existing finishes throughout Victoria Line Entrance Staircase, Upper Concourse & Lower Concourse areas.
- Decoration of existing station rooms to create office and welfare areas for LUL and Contractors.
- Provision of furniture and appliances within the office and welfare areas for LUL and Contractors.
- Removal of redundant concrete motor bases and concrete support columns from the UMC, Incline & LMC. A combination of track sawing, drilling & bursting and breaking was utilised to condense approximately 80 tonne of concrete into manageable sections for removal from the worksite to Engineering Trains during Engineering Hours.
- Removal of redundant steel work support beams to Upper & Lower Concourse floor areas including redundant motor bases. The steel work was cut under Hot Works procedures during Engineering Hours to enable safe removal of component pieces.
- New supporting steelwork by means of columns and beams were installed ready to form new floor slabs at Upper & Lower Concourse floor levels.
- New supporting steelwork by means of ‘Goal posts’ were installed ready to receive new escalator machinery.
- New holorib and slab edge formers were fixed into position, reinforcement laid and pre-bagged concrete poured ready to form new Upper & Lower Concourse floor slabs.
- Removal of VE panelling, door & frame and blockwork to existing UMC entrance area, and reinstate with remodelled UMC entrance.
- Existing UMC staircase replaced with new ships access ladder, complete with safety gate and barriers.
- New tiled finish laid to Upper Concourse & Lower Concourse floor areas including movement joints.
- New tiled finished fixed to re-modelled UMC entrance wall.
- Removal and disposal of lead paint to existing structural support steelwork.
- Premises painting to UMC, Incline & LMC areas (Walls, floors, soffits and steelwork).
- Installation of new Kee Klamp edge protection system to Upper Machine Chamber.
- Fix new signage to Upper & Lower Machine Chamber areas.
- Provision of new flam bin for new escalator maintenance purposes.
Removal of temporary wall and floor ply protection, including public interface hoardings to enable Escalators 1-3 to ‘Return to service’.